The Land Where Dreams Come True
It was early evening on Avenida Atlântica in Copacabana and I was sipping on a beer and conversing with my cousin.
We were at a local restaurant when I noticed an older, white gentlemen who looked to be around his early to mid 50s.
With a big pot belly and his good hair days long behind him, I could see the twinkle in his eyes behind his prescription glasses; his Colgate smile brightened the table area around him.
He was sitting next to a light brown-skinned Brazilian woman with straight, black hair that stopped around her mid-back.
It was dark outside, but she was wearing dark-tinted sunglasses that covered half her face. She had to be early to mid 20s.
She also was a garota de programa.
Do Brazilian Women Like Ugly Men?
There’s a popular belief in men social circles that Brazilian women are more forgiving of male physical attributes that
may be considered a “weakness”. That Brazilian women like ugly men more than other groups of women.
A few of these weaknesses include: short stature, being overweight/obesity, less flattering “facial features” aka ugly, baldness, aging (being an older man) etc.
Some people say Brazilian women are more concerned with a man’s heart and how he treats her; it doesn’t really matter what he looks like.
So, if you are a 5’5, 45 year-old man with a receding hairline and buck teeth, should you move to Rio de Janeiro and marry a beautiful, 20-something year-old woman who will adore you?
My Opinion Of Brazilian Women & Their Preferences
I’ve spent significant time in Brazil’s two biggest metro areas, Rio de Janeiro and São Paulo. Although, they are similar in many ways, there are a few differences I noticed about the dating atmosphere in each city. Check it out.
Rio de Janeiro
- Looks play an important part in who dates who. You usually see couples of similar attractiveness. If a guy is big and muscular, his girl will probably be in decent shape as well.
- Socioeconomic background is just as significant. Good looks + wealthy pairings are common in tourist areas with the occasional unlikely match. Overall, Cariocas are homogeneous in dating and are in relationships with people who look like them with similar backgrounds.
- Regarding the dating prospects of gringos in Rio, I wrote a book about what to expect from dating in Brazil based on your foreign appeal. You can find it on the site for $10.
- Looks are less important in São Paulo; men and women put less effort into their physical appearance unless they are going to a club. Not to say that people in São Paulo are non-groomed and less attractive, but there is a noticeable difference between the appearance of Rio people and Paulistanos. Rio has a beach culture, SP doesn’t.
- There is a lot of money flowing in and out of São Paulo; therefore, you will notice a lot of awkward, wealthy men with good-looking women. Similar to some couples you may see in America.
Overall, Brazilian Women’s Dating Preferences Are Similar To Others
When you take an objective look at Brazilian women’s preferences, they are really no different from any other woman.
Some like tall men, some like short. A few only date white guys, some only date blacks. A few want a man with a lot of money while others will date you as long as you can pay the bills and take her out occasionally.
It all boils down to you getting in where you fit and meeting women who find you appealing.
But don’t step to any woman unless you are approaching with your best foot forward. All women want a man that they find physically appealing to a degree. If you aren’t happy about yourself, it will show through your mannerisms and that will make you unappealing.
Put in the time in the gym to get fit.
Find a hairstyle that best suits your current self (don’t hold on to hair that isn’t holding on to you).
Short guy? Me too. That’s one reason I’ve worked out for 5 years; there is no reason to be short AND skinny.
Don’t be like the guy in the beginning story, paying for a woman’s attention and time.
Instead, find the women who want to hang out with you.
You don’t have to be Idris Elba’s twin to date attractive women. But you can’t be a total slob either.
So work on yourself inside and out first. Then you won’t have to worry about whether a Brazilian woman will find you attractive or not.